Tuesday, November 13, 2012

If you are going to read one thing, read this please!

Hey Friends,

Just a shorter post today, but a very important one.  Amid the rash of accidents among people from the forums, some resulting in tragic fatalities and serious injuries, I want to tell people to ride extra carefully, especially up in the colder climates such as where I live.

If you don't know a road well and can't see around a corner or over a hill, be cautious, ride the speed limit or maybe even less.
If you are riding with others, ride at YOUR pace, not theirs.  It's okay if you fall behind, but do not exceed your skill level trying to catch up.  All it takes is one mistake to end/seriously mess up your life.
It's nearly winter time and the roads are COLD, even on warmer days with the sun out, the ground is not as warm as in summer.  This plays a factor in the [decreased] amount of grip your tires will provide.  There may also be leaves, ice, salt, sand, and other debris.  Ride carefully, and don't try to lean as much.  If you are dragging hard parts, toes, knees, etc..you are riding too hard/fast, take that to the track.

I took the fun twisty road home from work yesterday, and on the way home two presumably more experienced riders pulled out in front of me.  They immediately started pulling away, and though I wanted to keep up, maybe it was a bit of my ego wanting to show my capabilities (or lack thereof? lol!), I said NO and did not attempt to follow.  The road was unfamiliar to me, with many blind curves over hills.  The surroundings were definitely not conducive to making mistakes without serious consequences AKA I would die if I went off the road.

So please be careful! Definitely have fun, but be cautious about it.

- Pandabear

No comments:

Post a Comment