Thursday, June 9, 2016

Moar trackdays!

Hello again,

I said I was more or less done with riding for now, but it seems that was mostly for street riding!  After getting a bit hooked on the track, I ended up going for two more track days!!

I've learned quite a lot in three track days from being coached and sitting in on classroom sessions (and putting concepts into practice). I've picked up my pace, and I feel more comfortable going through turns quickly.  I can 150% say that I've become a better rider in a short period of time.  I can't say street riding would ever provide that boost so quickly.

Why yes, that is indeed my new Bell Star Carbon RSD helmet!

After my first track day, I picked up on the racing line, and practiced being smooth throughout the corners.  On day two, I worked on my body positioning, including anchoring better under braking and transitioning into leaning off.  On day three I picked up my pace and got a better handle on how hard I can brake in straight lines, in corners, how much gas I can apply while leaned fully over, and in general, how my bike handles.  Comfort level with my bike? Hopped on a rocket and went through the roof!


In general, I feel much more attuned to my bike's feel and feedback, and how my inputs affect my riding. Enjoying a nice cool down rain shower on day 2 allowed me to test my resolve on a partially wet track. I had no issues except for a small slide going over a puddle on a left hand turn.  My relatively new Pirelli Rosso Corsa's did the job and sorted out the issue, though I think a rain tire (for racing) would have been much better.  Street tires seem to be a bit of a compromise and while the are definitely better than race slicks, they aren't 100% fool proof...still have to use common sense and some caution!!

Body position needs some work. While I was close to touching down and dragging knee (even as a short rider!), I don't think I extended my leg far enough outwards.  Regardless, speed and skill is more important than dragging knee, it's not a goal but a by product.  I am still thrilled by my improvement and that's what counts!

I may have to book one more before I leave for school...more to come!

- Pandabear

2 comments:

  1. Good luck today! Thank you for your kind words and support last night, really means a lot! Hope we can find a way to go back to how things were before. : )

    ReplyDelete