Thursday, April 4, 2013

2nd Video, New Mounting Location!

Hey Friends,

Tried a new mounting location on the bike.  I figured this would cut down on the shaking, and give a clearer image.  What I didn't think of was that the wind noise will be drastically reduced, and the engine noise (vroom vroom!) would be much more audible.  Two drawbacks (or maybe one, depending on how you see it) are you can now hear the brakes applying, and the real one, you can't toggle the camera on/off when riding, as it's out of reach.

A perk of the location is that it makes the ride look nearly as aggressive as what I see in person, as opposed to the "easy" riding shot on the helmet. Here's the video:


The video quality is now in 1080P.  I mounted the camera to the front fender after sampling multiple locations.  I placed the camera onto the mount, peeled the adhesive covering, lined up the camera, and pressed onto the fender.  Then I removed the camera and applied pressure around all the edges to get a good application.
Contour Low Profile Mount

I went up to my apartment, and fifteen minutes later, I decided to test it out (Contour recommends leaving it overnight before usage though).  Slid the camera onto the mount:

Mounted ContourROAM

 And this is how it looks from the front, pretty nifty, and pretty discreet!
Front view of ContourROAM
All in all, I like this view a lot better.  It's more aggressive, it's better for capturing natural audio, it picks up the Firey's sounds well enough, and it's more discreet.

The biggest downside is the inaccessibility to the on/off switch.  For long continuous rides, it'll either be on or off which will kill the battery.  For those rides, the camera will be better suited on the helmet mount.  But for short rides, or rides where there are many stops before or during the action, the fender mount is going to be the mount of choice!

Should have a fun ride coming up this Saturday.  Stay tuned.  Also, going to make a video of my Chicago trip next week.  1300 miles round-trip!  This year's big adventure!

Ride Safe,

Pandabear

2 comments:

  1. Does the camera mounted there interfere at all with turning? I have an extra sticky mount for my Drift and I might try that position next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late response, no, there is plenty of clearance! For most rides, it's the view I prefer since the sound quality is MUCH better than on the helmet. I might try to experiment with a behind the body view as well, or rig something up above me on a pvc pipe haha!

      Delete