Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Alpinestars Waterproof - Maybe Not

Hello Friends,

My Chicago trip was successful!  I won't go into too much here about it, as I am still editing my trip video, but I can say it was a very LONG ride.

I will say though, my friend and I started from Pennsylvania and when we left, there was a torrential downpour.  We rode the first three hours or so through rain.  Surprisingly I stayed bone dry!! My RS Taichi gear was absolutely phenomenal..jacket, pants, and gloves kept me perfectly dry.  The only weak point was my Alpinestars SMX 5 boots.

I bought the waterproof version, and though I rode through some light rain on prior occasions, the heavy rain finally showed a flaw in the boots.  While my right boot was completely dry, somehow there was a small leak in the front left boot which left me with a soggy foot for my 12 hour ride (ride + break times).  Fortunately, the boot doesn't allow for much airflow so my toes stayed warm, thank goodness.  So sadly, I had to send my A* boots out for warranty work.

In the mean time, I ordered a pair of Sidi Vertigo boots.  I haven't yet ridden in them, but I did try them on.  They seem to fit pretty well, more in line with my prior Spidi VR6 boots (the A* boots fit a tad better around the heel).  I will review them soon, once I go for a ride in them!  I purchased them from Revzilla.com yesterday, and to my great surprise, they were at my doorstep today when I returned from work.  I guess it helps that I live about two hours from their Philadelphia warehouse!!

I will work diligently to get my Chicago video created...it is a LOT of video to edit, so it may take quite a while, but I'll do my best.

Look forward to a review on my new boots as well!

- Pandabear

No comments:

Post a Comment