Monday, August 10, 2015

Arai Vector 2 Crash Test

Hey friends,

Well, ok, not really a crash (fortunately!), but I hit a massive bird today on the way home.  I'm pretty sure it was a vulture.  I was coming around a bend at about 45mph and I saw this big bird sitting on the side of the road.  The whole thing happened in a few seconds, I saw it, I started squeezing the brakes, I thought it was going to fly up into my face, it did, and BAM!  Felt like getting hit by a brick.  The darn thing ricocheted off my headlights and windscreen (nasty smear, yuck), and as I tried to duck below it, it clipped the back of my helmet and ripped it apart.

There was blood everywhere, fortunately not mine.  I stayed upright, but it gave me a heck of a headache! On a side note, I pulled over for a little bit and tried to calm down and tend to my head.  I was passed by several cars, none stopped.  People aren't as nice here as out in the country area where I previously was living.
Poor Helmet. Stupid Bird!!

I didn't think there was any damage at first, but after looking in my mirror at a stop, I saw feathers sticking out everywhere.  I reached back and was fussing with the feathers and then felt jagged edges and loose parts.  I pulled off plastic and my heart sank for sure.  When I got home, I finally saw the extent of the damage.  I'm not sure if the shell has been compromised, but I don't think I'll risk it.

First a flat tire. Then an egging. Now a busted helmet.
I sure have some bad luck...

But on a side note, this is why you should always wear a helmet!

- Pandabear

No comments:

Post a Comment