Friday, August 10, 2012

Bumpy and Twisty Adventure

Hey friends,

A lot of things have been going on this week..some very serious and disheartening, others positive and reassuring.  I will still review my new RS Taichi gloves this weekend, but this post on my recent weekend excursion will be shortened a bit, especially since I did not get a chance to take any photos (though I wish I did, there was some beautiful scenery!).

Took another trip with a local friend.  We were hunting for two very curvy roads which both turned out to be thrilling.  After getting lost several times, we finally found the first road, called Pine Hill Road.  20MPH speed limits for good reasons!  We hit curve after curve, and at one point, we were going around a blind corner in a  decent leftwards lean, only to be surprised to see a very sharp curve to the right.  Not a problem I thought, as I shifted from left to right, starting to hang off a bit on starboard side.  But quickly I noticed after initiating rightward lean that there was some sort of gravel up ahead.  I tried to straighten up a bit, but was still far over.  As I got on top of that gravel line, I noticed it wasn't gravel at all, but a lane length, foot wide chunk of road missing, a few inches deep.  At that point I stayed loose, kept looking where I wanted to go, and just hoped for the best.  My rear tire bounced and skipped a bit, I was shaken while being thrown slightly wide in the turn, but I managed to ride it out and stay safe.  Yeah..not going on that road again..

We rode some more, and finally found the second desirable road, Waggoner's Gap Road.  It's over a moderately tall "mountain" (hill), with some beautiful turns on pristine pavement.  We took them slowly, but I made sure I used good form and technique from what I learned from Twist of the Wrist 2, and I found I had some great exit speeds, slow in fast out!!  My friend did not have the same knowledge (or any knowledge of body positioning/anchoring for that matter) and had a little trouble keeping up, even on a 650cc bike.  I later told him about Keith Code. Anyways, the point of our ride was just to have fun and see some nice views, so we got a great taste of it going up the mountain. We looked to our left and saw the entire valley, miles of quilted fields.  Everything was beautiful and the weather was perfect at the moment.  The return leg was along a peaceful stream.  There were people out on the rocks going fishing, and enjoying the outdoors.  I hope to stop there tomorrow on my next adventure, and take some pictures.

Finally, after four hours of riding it was time to go home.  The sky began to get dark and we began to see lightning and a very light mist.  A few miles from my apartment, it turned into sheets of rain, booming thunder, and illuminating flashes of lightning.  Though my suit got slightly wet, it did not take much to dry.  My gloves as usual were the worst.  I do not wear them anymore since I have the Taichi's, but they have yet to be fixed.  Seems like people are dragging their feet instead of their knees!!

Look forward to some pictures soon!

-Pandabear

And as a last note..please cherish the time you have on this Earth. Nobody knows how long they have. Even when you are having a bad day for some reason, think about all the good things, and the fond memories.  Remember that YOU are in control of your life.  Live it how you want to, be positive, and always SMILE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment