Tuesday, August 28, 2012

EthioKnight sticker, Idle Speed, and...Premium Gas??

Hey Everyone,

Two posts in one day! I couldn't get enough!
Three things here. First:
I put my EthioKnight remembrance sticker on my motorcycle, front and center.
































Second, on my ride to Ocean City, Maryland, a friend, fellow Ninjette member nycsteve pointed out that my idle speed was really high, at 3K RPM.  I have no clue why this was, and I thought it was because the engine was hot, but nobody else's bike was doing that!  A few people tried turning it but with no avail.  Today, I decided I would give it a shot, and without gloves, I turned the idle speed knob in both directions to figure it out.  

In case you are wondering, to lower the RPM's you have to turn the knob to your left (counterclockwise) and through that resistance type feel.  It may feel like you are going to break it or something, but don't worry, that's right.  As soon as you push through that resistance, you'll hear/see the RPM's drop.  Obviously make sure your bike is running and is on neutral!!!!  The user manual says to keep it within roughly 1,250-1,350RPM.  I set mine to about that range, though I found the lower limit by listening to the bike.  It'll get to the point where the bike sounds like it is struggling to stay on, and at that point I stopped, and turned it back a hair above that.  

What is the effect of changing your idle speed, that is, lowering it from a high idle?  I'm not sure if it is a universal effect, but at least for mine, I instantly noticed an immense increase in throttle response.  It is easier to feel that low end power (not that there is much), and it is also easier to control the throttle.  Much better! And now that brings us to the last point of this evening.

I went to the gas station to fill up gas.  I unlocked the tank, inserted the nozzle, and then pressed the 87 octane button.  I am 1000000% sure I did, as I had just looked above it at the price ($3.759) before pushing it.  Upon getting home, I noticed on the receipt that I was charged for premium!!  The issue here is not the price ($4.059), which amounts to a piddly 83 cents, but the fact that their pump is charging people incorrectly!  I went in and told the "manager" and he just looked at me and told me I must have pushed the premium button, and that no one else mentioned anything (I rode home before I noticed, and only because I use fuelly.  Most others probably don't check once they click regular).  I insisted that I chose the correct button and all he said was I'll tell his manager (which he probably won't).  I haven't noticed any difference in the bike performance, so I'm not sure which type of gas ACTUALLY went in. But man, that is really weird. Anyone else have this happen? Maybe I am just crazy? No clue.  But it genuinely irked me enough to ride all the way back to check.

I guess that's my little story for today..!
Have a great evening,

-Pandabear

No comments:

Post a Comment