Thursday, March 7, 2013

First Time at the Pump (For the ZX6R)

Well friends,

I decided to go ahead and fill my gas tank tonight, since I am riding home tomorrow to see my parents and friends.  I put about 73 miles on the odometer, and filled 2.3 gallons of premium fuel.  My mileage came out to 32 miles a gallon! Ouch!  However, a few things could be the reason for this.

First, coming out of the showroom, the tank possibly wasn't absolutely full.  Even a few tenths of a gallon would reduce my calculation by 3-4mpg at least.  Second, I filled the tank to the very, very top. Those two reasons combined could be why it came out so low.  And finally, and this may very well be the biggest reason, as I was starting out, I primarily rode around in first and maybe second gear.  This probably eats gas like crazy!! Om nom nom nom!!  I started testing how the bike pulls from higher gears, so now I ride in 4th and 5th around town to keep my RPM's as low as possible.  Hopefully this helps!

I'll report back what I achieve after my highway ride, which hopefully will be all in 6th gear.  It may still be a bit lower since I plan to vary the RPM's since the bike is still being broken in, but it might be a little more on par with the 40mpg that I heard this bike gets.

One final note, I'm not a stickler about gas mileage.  Sooooo before anyone is like, "Well it's a supersport, if you want good gas mileage, get a scooter," I just wanted to throw that out there ;).  While I aim to get the best gas mileage possible when riding around town or to work, at the end of the day, I do like to have fun and give it a little extra throttle, and I didn't buy this bike to pinch pennies heheh.

Have a great weekend, should be nice out.  Bring out your bike!

- Pandabear

No comments:

Post a Comment