Monday, March 4, 2013

Short Ride

Hey Everyone,

Took the new bike out for a ride today for about 30 miles.  Didn't want to go too far in case anything happened!  Did two things on this ride, check out my new jacket and boots, and of course, get used to the bike!  Keeping this post relatively short, I'll just go over the main things I experienced today.

For the jacket, it was 32 degrees Fahrenheit outside, and windy.  I had a tshirt on, and my jacket on top.  Before, I would have worn several layers, with my ICON jacket on top, and still have felt a little chilly.  Not anymore!  This jacket is great! Also didn't even notice I was wearing it, and no more neck burns, amazing!  The boots were a little different.  They were warm and not too intrusive, but I kept my jeans and overpants on top like I normally do, and my left leg started getting irritated by the boot at the upper shin level (the leg I use to hold the bike up).  To be fair, I was in a lot of stop and go traffic..a longer continuous ride would have avoided this.  The fix will be simple most likely, tuck jeans into the boot!

As for the bike, I'm still having trouble getting used to upshifting.  I think I am so used to where the clutch engages on the 250R that it's interfering a bit.  Not to worry, I did have a few better shifts on the way back home.  The other thing I found was sitting at lights is torture.  The clutch pull is a LOT heavier and my little girly hands (no offense ladies!) got a bit tired holding it in at lights.  I like to remain in first in case I need to move, but after a while I just had to put it in neutral.  I guess my hand will get stronger over time.  As for the brakes, I'm getting a little more used to how strong they are!  I also really like that they are a shorter reach now, much quicker and easier to get to for a little person like myself!  And finally, I didn't have any problem holding the bike up at stops.  I'm rapidly getting used to one footing, and if I need to change legs I gently transition to the other foot.  Only had a little "AH BOTH FEET OUT!" moment on my final parking attempt near my apartment!!  Overall, I love this bike so far.  Once I get more accustomed to it, I'll be able to post some more fun adventures!

Well, time to sleep.  Pesky thing called work in the morning!  Let's all dream of our bikes :D

- Pandabear

No comments:

Post a Comment