Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Highway and Back

Well friends,

Took that trip home and back, about 2 hours on the highway each way.  The bike is moderately comfortable  for me.  When I say that, it's kind of a trade off between having a nearly fully relaxed back while being jostled by the wind (250R), and being tucked over and aerodynamic but at a small expense of a slightly more tired back (ZX-6R).  I think I favor the latter since tucking on the 250 can get pretty tiring after a while!

As for rideability, while the 250 had no trouble merging onto the highway, nor cruising along mile after mile, the 6R makes it silly easy to merge and cruise.  Twist and overtake everyone, no challenge.  6th gear roll on is also very strong for moderately fast overtakes.  At 75mph, the bike hums along around 7,000 RPM, with 9,000RPM left to go.  Not shabby at all!

Gas mileage came out to about 40-43MPG.  Didn't hammer down exact mileage due to having to fill while off the bike, but it won't make a huge impact.  Not bad, still much better than my car!

I definitely love this thing, I think I made the right choice.  However again, I noticed you really need to be careful with all the power.  It almost wills you to ride faster than you should.  I easily was cruising at 85+ MPH, something I'd never do in my car or on the 250.   Had to often times look down, check my speed, and slow down!  The tires stick like glue on the ramps too.  I had an oh-shoot moment on the offramp when I went to roll on the throttle a little bit and went from 35 to 50mph in a blink of an eye, which wasn't a problem whatsoever, but it did take me by surprise a little bit.  Again, another thing that reminds me to be always on guard!

Today I rode in the rain.  Stayed perfectly dry with all my gear!  Unfortunately the area around me is quite dirty, so my gear got pretty splattered with dirt.  Can't say I mind riding in the rain now, nothing will stop me!! (Though my coworkers think I am crazy!)

- Pandabear

No comments:

Post a Comment