Friday, July 13, 2012

1700 Miles and No Looking Back!

Hey Friends,

Finally getting around to updating! So let's jump right in shall we?!
First things first, I got my 600 mile first service done at 700 miles. The bike was running absolutely fine but just a tiny bit rough.  After sitting at the dealership for four hours, I got my ninja back and boy did she run smoothly after that!  Since then, I have been really racking up the miles on the ninjette, commuting to and from work about 40 miles a day.
There is one particular segment in the middle of the commute which has two sweeping turns, which I am slowly learning to take quicker.  The caution speed limit is 30mph, which is what I started at, and now am up to about 40mph.  Two things I have been playing with are body positioning, and staying light on the bars.  With the former, I have been hanging off the bike ever so mildly to cause the bike to use less lean angle around the sweepers, allowing me to ride quicker and have a larger contact patch for the tires.  It works wonders.  I then tried not hanging off, which also works fine at this speed, however I made a conscious effort to grip the bike hard with my thighs and hold myself up with my core muscles, leaving almost no weight at all on the handlebars.  This allows the bike to ride the best through the turns, and it causes the best feeling in the world..a planted, on-rails type feeling!  I will be practicing use both techniques in conjunction with each other to get the best results.
Anyways, there is so much more to discuss with you guys.  I have also been traveling about 45 minutes west of my area to a small town called Carlisle.  I had heard about a great crepe shop called Helena's Chocolate Cafe & Creperie. It is a small family owned place with great service and amazing food! Completely worth the ride.
Helena's Chocolate Cafe and Creperie

Oh I must mention, due to some sudden malfunctioning, I retired my Samsung Galaxy S and upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S III!  The pictures will be even better now! Here's a shot of my bike on one of the main streets.  It was my first time street parking and even with no cars around, I was nervous and had a bit trouble backing up against the curb..most likely due to my short legs!  I do not like street parking with my car, but since a bike is much smaller, hopefully I won't have to worry about someone backing into it (I watched a girl back into some other lady's front bumper while I was eating! Yikes!!!).


And then a funny/scary story, on my return journey from the second visit to Helena's I had the misfortune of being hit by wasps!  The first one bounced off my shoulder and it kind of hurt.  The second hit my chest and managed somehow to enter the bottom of my helmet and crawl up into my shield.  I did not know if it was inside or outside until I tried to flick it away and noticed it was not going anywhere!  I should mention I was traveling about 70mph down the highway and had a tractor-trailer (18 wheeler!) next to me.  Finally somehow I managed to remain calm, overtook the 18 wheeler and stopped on the wide shoulder.  I flipped my shield up and Mr. Wasp flew away without stinging me in the face!  Phew, I was happy.

I've gotten the chance to ride much more since the tune up, racking up an additional 1000 miles from commuting to work and simply just riding whenever I feel like.  I have also had the pleasure of averaging a very solid 53MPG with a mix of conservative riding and all out, throttle pinning action excitement!  I've noticed I have been able to learn how to judge turns a lot better, and naturally am picking better lines than when I first started riding.  And of course, many of my journeys often end up at....Starbucks!  Nothing like enjoying a cinnamon dolce frappuccino while admiring my Arai Vector 2 helmet (haha!)

My Arai Vector 2 in Diamond White! And yummy Starbucks!

On a more serious note, please be careful everyone, if you are areas with large deer population.  I have had several instances where deer have jumped out.  Be very aware of your surroundings, and practice emergency braking.  I one day left Target and a mother deer and two baby deer jumped out in front of me, prancing all over the street.  The best thing to do is come to a complete stop and wait until ALL of them are gone!  I also witnessed one jump out right behind me on my commute to work the other day.  I spotted it in my peripherals and was fortunate that it did not run out in front of me.  I would not have been able to avoid that one most likely.  I now ride slower through that wooded area and keep my eyes peeled!  

And one final little event that I experienced on Wednesday.  The weather report had said clear/cloudy, but on my way home there was a rogue downpour!  Before I knew what hit me, I was drenched head to toe (ok, shoulders to toes, my helmet didn't let any water in!).  My gear was not waterproof, and I had to sit in stop and go traffic while I was soaking wet and cold.  My boots felt like they had mini swimming pools in them, my textile jacket was drenched fully through, and my leather gloves were soggy, numbing my fingers on the way home.  It was one of the most unpleasant things I've experienced lately.  But I managed to keep my bike shiny side up and though my rear tire squirmed a little on the flooding pavement, I made it home safely.  The key was to stay light on the bars, be gentle with the controls, and definitely keep the bike as upright as possible!  I definitely didn't push the bike whatsoever. 

Well, the next big thing I'm going to try is riding home on the highway to my parents' place.  Hopefully next weekend if it doesn't rain, I will do so.  I've been avoiding the highway until I had the proper gear (jeans + pavement @ 70+mph is NOT SAFE!!!).  I'm becoming a firm ATGATT - all the gear all the time - follower.    Even on recent 90+ degree days, I wear all the gear I currently own.  I am now very excited to be receiving my very first 1-piece race suit, as I mentioned previously.  The two suits will arrive by Tuesday evening, so hopefully I'll have time to take pictures and do a review, and let you all know which suit I like better and decide to keep!  Once I have my 1 piece suit, I will be ready to conquer the highway!!  Then on to bigger and better journeys!  

Have a great weekend my friends!

- Pandabear

No comments:

Post a Comment