Thursday, June 27, 2013

BT-016 Pro in the Rain, Tire Replacement Costs, and My Dream Bike!

Well friends,

I have a LOT to write about today.  My evening was more action packed than an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie, so let's get to the shtory, naaowwwwwww!!

Today on the way back from work, it went from drizzle to downpour (and flooding!) faster than my ZX6R can hit 60. As I left work, I laughed at mother nature, telling her that she could throw whatever at me - with exception of a lightning bolt...or tornado...or blizzard...or earthquake...or..well you get the idea - and my ride home would be ok.

Well, she heard my ridicule, took me up on the challenge, and unleashed her fury, Monsoon, Level 42.  I took it slow, limited by my shield fogging and the small problem of not being able to see well.  The bike and tires worked pretty well in the wet.  I have the worn down BT-016 on the front and the new and scrubbed in BT-016 Pro on the rear.  Cornering and steady riding were majestic, and while I didn't push it, everything felt natural, and confident.  I tackled puddles and rivers equally well, and even faced a tidal wave set in motion by a big truck, though I guess my helmeted face (vents open, ahhh so refreshing!) took the brunt of the wave, not my bike.  My coworkers most nearly think I am crazy, and I think I am too.

I did have one small incident when I was trying to slow down for a four-way stop.  I felt my tires squirming along the road surface, slithering side to side like a snake.  It did freak me out a bit, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle with my super panda bear powers. My best guess is that I was so focused on the road condition that I didn't anchor myself with my legs. Of course, the result is that I put weight on the bars which sent the force to the front tire.  And the front tire was like ROAR I HATE YOU PANDA!  Wet paint also doesn't help...

Managed to get home, mostly dry, but approximately 7.24% wet due to me completely ignoring the fact that my boot vents were open, as well as all the zipper vents on my jacket.  An extra shower never hurts anyone right?

I then got home, switched up my gear a little.  I set my soaked race gloves down and my Sidi boots aside, and took out my waterproof gloves and my new A* waterproof boots.  I forgot how narrow the boots were but they fit well overall.  The thing I noticed immediately was that they are much friendlier for normal riding.  The downside with brand new boots with untouched soles is that they are the equivalent of a slip 'n slide on the foot pegs. Not fun when you are straddling something, let me say..

I got to my destination, Velocity Cycles. My friend and I talked to some salespeople, who were very friendly.  I figured while I was there I'd ask about the cost to change my front tire.  I was shocked when I was told it would cost $55 just for labor, plus other fees and taxes!!!!!  Sorry, this Panda is not going to bend over like that.  I didn't mention to them that Motor-Vation (my dealership of choice) charged me $35 + tax to swap my REAR tire, and will probably charge even less for the front. I can't rave about Motor-Vation enough, they are the best in the area.

The real reason I went was to check out my dream bike..let me present:

BMW S1000RR, Best Rocketship in the World!!


I'll present a few impressions here.  


First, pictures don't do it justice, it is gorgeous in person, and has a lot of details that I love (for example..shift linkage is tucked THROUGH the frame, which will help protect it from damage).  Many people don't like the asymmetry but I love that cute winky face it has. I love white, but the black and grey versions are amazing too.

Second, it is extraordinarily light.  Granted, they kept them dry, but even still, dry weight is 400lbs which is close to my ZX6R (415lbs with the carbon fiber slip on).  This feels WAY lighter.  At 450 lbs wet, I bet it still is pretty light.


Third, it is SMALL.  It looks and feels smaller than my 600cc (and if you don't know, this S1000RR is a 1000cc).  The tank is narrower, and the reach to the bars is shorter.  Everything about it feels a lot more compact and good for a short guy like me.  The seating position isn't as aggressive either, and the suspension is VERY soft at stock settings.  It's a pretty modest feeling bike, though we all know it's a rip-your-arms-out-of-their-sockets type beast once it's running.

So to sum it up. ME WANT.  Sadly, my skills do not match the bike's caliber.  But good things come to those who work for it, and trust me, I will be racking on the miles, practicing, and honing my skills to work towards it! For now, I will just stand back and admire the engineering marvel.  BMW, well done, I bow to you.

Thanks for reading everyone, there was so much to say!  Have a great weekend!

- Pandabear

  

2 comments:

  1. Your trip sounds about like mine the other day. Glad you kept her upright. That BMW is gorgeous I hated it until I saw it in person the other weekend. Those side vents (gills?) are probably my favorite parts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how it's just, different..than most other bikes. Sure it's not traditional or whatever, but that's why it's great!

    ReplyDelete