Sunday, June 2, 2013

Sidi Vertigo Boots Review

Hey Everyone,

I guess this is a bit overdue.  I bought a pair of Sidi Vertigo's about a month ago to temporarily replace my Alpinestars SMX-5 Waterproof boots while they were undergoing RMA (small leak, though Alpinestars could not find the leak after hosing my boots down!).  I've had a good amount of time and miles to test the boot out, roughly 1500 miles or so and have come to a few conclusions. Let me introduce the boot first.

Sidi Vertigo

First off, I got a size 42 Euro/8.5 US, similar to my A* boots.  I wear a shoe size of 8-8.5 depending on the shoe type.  While the A* boots are snug and secure, the Sidi boot fits more like my first pair of boots, the Spidi VR6 boots.  Even with the calf adjustment, I have to tuck in my pants or wear my suit to get a good fit.  Also there is a decent amount of space up front unlike the A*.  The 7.5US size may have been a better fit.

Now to protection.  This boot seems to offer a little more protection than the SMX-5 and VR6.  While it has the standard shin plate, heel guard, toe slider etc, it has a beefier protection around the upper rear part of the boot, including a huge calf plate.  Also, mostly all the pieces are replaceable, just unscrew the (ab)used piece and bolt on the new one.  Pretty good since this boot costs $300.  Hopefully it will last a while.  Also, the calf plate is adjustable, so if you somehow have hulk sized calves, you can expand the leg area! Needless to say mine are tightened all the way as I am a very scrawny guy.

Adjustable from Calf Size McHuge to Size Hulk 
Now that I've got 1500 miles, here are my conclusions.  First, you will possibly have to adjust your shifter.  I could not shift well, or even easily get my toe under the lever which made riding very difficult.  I finally raised my lever up so I had my room to get under it, as the heel plate does not allow much downward flex of the ankle.  This might be a good thing as it will protect your leg a bit better from over extension perhaps.
Second, the side vents don't really do much.  You may get a little airflow, but on my long ride yesterday in 90 degree temperatures, it was HOT.  I had to stop and unzip my boots to cool down a bit.  My original Spidi boots weren't as hot during the summer. Perhaps I should have gotten the Vertigo Air's instead of the regular Vertigo's.
Third, they aren't as easy to walk around in off the bike.  I kind of hobble around like a panda on two paws. This leaves me to believe they are a bit more geared towards the track, even though they are a street boot.  A street boot for limited duty track riding possibly!

Velcro Area is Small.  Sometimes Comes Undone!

As far as craftsmanship, these are solid for now.  Haven't noticed any faults.  They are even pretty waterproof!  I'm not sure if they would stand up to a heavy downpour but light rain is fine.

All in all I think these boots are great.  As far as the price?  I think they are a tad bit overpriced.  $250-275 seems about right, but I guess you are paying for the Sidi name.  That's just my opinion though...even so, these boots are great!  Glad I got them, I think they will handle the job well, but hopefully won't have to crash test them.

Ride safe, and always gear up!

- Pandabear

P.S. EWW bug splatters!!  Gotta clean them!

No comments:

Post a Comment